Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Project Bibles for sailors

Do you remember our special December project? We wrote about Guus and Annemiek Peters who, for many years, have been visiting sailors in the ports of Antwerp, Gent and Terneuzen, giving Bible studies and talking with the men about Jesus. We were able to sponsor 60 Christmas goodie bags.

At the beginning of January we picked up volunteer Jim Hayes and we drove to Terneuzen to visit the Peters family. It turned out to be a wonderful and inspiring visit. This couple has some stories to tell. But more than words, they know how to put things into practice, and that is what we love of course! Please, read the following snippet of their latest news letter:

“In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)

The year of 2013 was a year of leukemia and six chemo treatments for me. But the good thing is that, apart from some weight loss and tiredness in the evenings, I had no problems at all. I have not felt sick once. The Bible verse above has given me such encouragement. I have felt completely safe in God's hands. Annemiek and me feel so thankful and we acknowledge that this is pure grace, grace, and grace alone. I even visited 92 more ships than in 2012!

In total I have visited 843 ships. 53 of these ships had a crew from a Muslim nation, mainly men from countries as Turkey, Pakistan and Bangladesh... Furthermore I was able to give away 407 Bibles and 202 New Testaments to the sailors. Also 501 Jesus DVD's, 69 DVD's about the life of the apostle Paul, 140 God of Wonders DVD’s, 58 More than Dreams DVD’s, 87 worship CD’s, 131 books, many correspondence courses and thousands of flyers...

Well, do we need to say more? It is clear that no one can stop Guus! At the beginning of 2014 he needs to re-stock on Bibles and other materials. He needs at least 400 Bibles (in various languages) and the cost for that alone is about 800 euro. We would love to help him again. If you have a heart for evangelism as well, please join us and make your gift payable to:
St. Traveling Light, Papendrecht
IBAN: NL91RABO0118582275
BIC: RABONL2U.
Make sure to mention BIBLES SAILORS